This is your 7-day warning! Five Hole For Food is coming to Calgary and you are invited to come out, play some hockey and support a good cause.
Next Tuesday (July 5), from noon to 6 pm, you’ll have the chance to play street hockey on Stephen Ave. in support of the Calgary Interfaith Food Bank and to represent your city in a cross-country challenge to see who can raise the most donations for the local food bank. There is no cost to play. All we ask is that you bring a (some!) non perishable food item(s) to donate.
On July 5, we will be setting up on Stephen Avenue, in front of Flames Central and bringing back the good ol’ Flames vs. Canucks rivalry. Whether you support the C of Red or that other team, you’re welcome to come out and play. If you want some more details, check out the Five Hole For Food Calgary event page.
You’re probably not alone if you have never heard of Five Hole for Food before, but that is sure to change. After a successful tour across Canada last summer, the FHFF guys are back at it again and are making their way west from St. John’s, Newfoundland right now. The tour stops in 13 cities along the way, and, in addition to making new friends and having fun, the goal is to raise more food than last year. Have a look at this year’s intro video for the tour:
The total amount of food raised during last summer’s 10-city tour was 6,000 lbs and so far the team has already smashed that goal on the way to beating this year’s goal of 20,000 lbs.
Here are some of the numbers from the Atlantic cities so far:
St. John’s, NL – 760lbs of food donated
Halifax, NS – 795lbs of food donated
Charlottetown, PE – 765lbs of food donated
St John, NB – 4,210lbs of food donated (a new single city record!)
So clearly the bar is rising. Calgary, can we raise it even higher? I think we can.
Here’s what you can do to make it happen.
1) Organize a food collection in your workplace
2) Bring it with you when you come out to play on Tuesday, July 5 between noon and 6pm
3) Volunteer to help us before or during the event (did we mention this will get you free beer?) email me for info
4) Tell your friends about Five Hole For Food by sharing this post on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin etc.
5) Keep up to date with the tour by following @FiveHoleForFood on Twitter
6) LIKE the Five Hole For Food Facebook page
7) Check out their YouTube videos
8) Have a look at some of the Flickr photos of the trip so far